|Wednesday, November 3, 2010
Houston Racquet Club
11:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
The 2010 Synergy Awards Luncheon at the Houston Racquet Club was a big success! Yolanda Green said it felt like a Green Reunion Tour, as she entertained us all as emcee and covered the event on her Going Green with Yolanda Green television show. (See it here! www.39online.com)
Celebrating 40 years since the Citizens’ Environmental Coalition was created, the entire CEC board of directors took the stage to present Ms. Terry Hershey with a special Vision Award for her foresight, as well as her recognition of the need for a communication hub for the various environmental concerns in our community. From her vision, the CEC was born, and its mission is still vital today. Through a communal website calendar which provides a one-stop-shopping place to find out what is going on throughout our green community, to the CEC e-news delivered to over 5,000 people weekly, to the Environmental Resource Guide directory of area green groups and important phone numbers, the CEC strives to keep us all in touch and informed, and thereby works to further empower the missions of all of our Coalition members. We culminate the year by recognizing important efforts with the Synergy Awards.
Since 1997, the Citizens’ Environmental Coalition has hosted the annual Synergy Awards Luncheon to recognize local individuals and organizations for their notable environmental projects and achievements. This year, we are proud to solute the following individuals and groups for their outstanding contributions to our community.
Army and Sarah Emmott Conservation Award
Tom Solomon – Texas Master Naturalist
Steve Stelzer – City of Houston Green Building Resource Center
Business Awareness Award
New Living Green Building + Home Store
Community Activist Award
Becky Edmondson – Willow Waterhole Greenspace Conservancy
Environmental Education Award
Renee Brawner – East Chambers ISD
Gary and Kathy Adams Clark, Houston Chronicle
Robert Adair – Houston Land/Water Sustainability Forum
Port of Houston Authority
Arthur L. Storey, Jr.
Synergy Award Categories
- Army and Sarah Emmott Environmental Conservation Award is given to an organization or individual for outstanding work in the field of conservation.
- The Community Activist Award is presented to an individual who has worked at the grassroots level to improve our environment.
- The Media Award is presented to an organization or individual for outstanding efforts in the field of environmental reporting.
- The Corporate Awareness Award is presented to a corporation that has shown exemplary sensitivity to and awareness of our environment
- The Environmental Education Award is presented to an organization or individual for outstanding efforts in bringing environmental awareness to the classroom.
- The Lifetime Achievement Award is meant to recognize an individual who has demonstrated a lifelong commitment to the environment.
- The Government Award is given to a government agency or an individual employed by the government for outstanding support of the environment.
- The Sustainable Planning Award, introduced in 2002, recognizes an individual or group that has made a consistent effort to include sustainable ideas in local planning efforts.
- The Founders’ Award recognizes an individual selected by the founders of the CEC.
- The President’s Award is presented to an individual selected by the CEC President.