Please join us at Earth Day Houston on Sunday, April 22, 2018, from noon-6 p.m. at Discovery Green! Hosted in partnership with the Citizens’ Environmental Coalition, Discovery Green’s citywide Earth Day celebration–presented by Green Mountain Energy–is designed to inspire, educate, and encourage action.
- Over eighty exhibitors and a foodie farmers market with dozens of vendors.
- Earth Talks: Short, engaging talks from local experts about compelling environmental issues. Speakers include Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner, tropical disease expert Dr. Peter Hotez, plastic pollution youth advocates Caolin and Lila, sustainable clothing design house Magpies & Peacocks, NASA, HARC’s Lisa Gonzalez, and more.
- Compost, recyclables, and trash: Volunteer recycling ambassadors will help visitors make wise disposal choices. While Earth Day Houston 2018 won’t be a zero-waste event, we are setting a baseline for future events by tracking and weighing all garbage destined for the landfill–and measuring waste being diverted for recycling and composting.
- Make a difference: You will be challenged to make commitments to protecting and improving our environment. And if doing good isn’t enough, we’ll have prizes.
- Acoustic music and pop-up activities: live animal and plant demonstrations, story time, an electric car petting zoo, recycling superheroes, and functioning solar panels.
- Alternative transportation: bike rides, a bike valet, and Metro passes will be available.
Please email [email protected] with any questions. We’ll send a special email on Friday with event more information.
Paid & Volunteer Internships with CEC Houston
CEC hopes to hire several volunteer interns this summer, with meaningful work, a mentorship program, field trips, flexible hours, and a constant supply of chocolate. If you or someone you know is interested, please send a resume to [email protected], and await a response after Earth Day. We’ve also been notified that we will be able to hire paid interns through the City of Houston’s Hire Houston Youth Program; Houston youth can apply at http://hirehoustonyouth.org/.
Tickets Now on Sale: Stump the Treehugger
CEC’s second annual environmental trivia contest, will be a chance to join in friendly competition with other treehuggers at Saint Arnold Brewing company on Sunday afternoon, May 20, 2018. To get the competitive juices flowing, visit Instagram for our weekly Trivia Tuesday contests. Individual and team tickets are now available on Eventrbite.
Support Earthshare of Texas, CEC, others at H-E-B
Throughout April, remember to give $1, $3, or $5 to EarthShare of Texas when you shop at any H-E-B or Central Market. 100% of those funds go to the 42 environmental charities-including CEC and many of our member organizations-that belong to EarthShare of Texas. Through this partnership H-E-B and its customers have donated almost $1 million to EarthShare of Texas. Help us make that $1 million mark this year.
CEC is a big fan of H-E-B’s environmental initiatives relating to transportation emission reductions; green building; seafood sustainability; recycling, composting, and waste reduction; and ongoing support for environmental partners.