Experienced, strategically-minded activist wanted for Program Director position with Texas Campaign for the Environment (TCE) and TCE Fund, the state’s leading canvass-based environmental advocacy group. TCE’s mission is to empower Texans to fight pollution through sustained grassroots organizing campaigns that shift corporate and governmental environmental policy. TCE has been a lead organization promoting Zero Waste and other environmental policies through corporate and legislative campaigns in Houston and statewide. For more information and to apply, visit www.texasenvironment.org.
The 85th Legislature has been assigning bills to house and senate committees, and some bills have made it out of committee. You can read more on the Texas Senate News page and on the Texas House of Representatives News page.
- May 29, 2017: Last day of legislative session.
- June 18, 2017: Last day the governor can sign or veto bills passed during the regular legislative session.
- More than half of pre-filed bills have been assigned to a committee. Most of the bills assigned to a committee are waiting for a public hearing, or have already had a public hearing and are left pending. No bills have been passed by the legislature (other than resolutions).
- Although not many bills have been voted on yet by The Senate and House of Representatives from the surrounding area of Houston, here are a few pertaining to the environment on this Google Spreadsheet.
- ACT (Alliance for Clean Texas) Lobby Day will be on April 25, 2017, at the Texas State Capitol in the Legislative Conference Center Room E2.002. You will have the opportunity to learn lobby basics, hear about environmental bills, and help push important bills. If you would like to RSVP to this event, please email firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, April 21. If you would like to read more about this event, please visit the event’s Facebook page.
City of Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner, Houston Parks & Recreation Department and retiring director Joe Turner, Buffalo Bayou Partnership, Jacob & Terese Hershey Foundation, and all of Terry’s family and her many friends
invite the public for a
honoring the generous life of Terese Tarlton Hershey.
Tuesday, April 25, 2017, at 10:30 AM
Buffalo Bayou Park, west of Eleanor Tinsley Park and east of Henry More sculpture.
A grove of 5 bur oak trees will be planted along the bayou in honor of Terry,
“A force of Nature for Nature,” as described by President George H.W. Bush.
Parking will be available along Allen Parkway; some golf cart assistance will be available.
Stump the Treehugger: Earth Day Environmental Trivia Contest
Join CEC at Saint Arnold Brewing Company on Sunday, April 30, 2017, from 4 PM to 6 PM for the Earth Day Houston Environmental Trivia Contest. Sponsored by the Citizens’ Environmental Coalition, this exciting new way to celebrate Earth Day will stimulate and challenge all area tree-huggers (as well as budding ones). Both individuals and entire teams of eight are welcome to sign up for the contest (individuals will be assigned to a team). Think & Drink for the Planet!
- Enviro 101
- Plants and Agriculture
- Animals and Wildlife
- Human Footprint
- Politics, Government, and Eco-Justice
- Global Issues
Ripe Cuisine food truck will have healthy, plant-based, seasonally inspired, and locally sourced delicious food available for purchase.
Support CEC & EarthShare at HEB!
Throughout the month of April and into the first week of May, look for the EarthShare of Texas display and tear-off coupons at the check-out stands in any Texas H-E-B and Central Market store. As a member of EarthShare of Texas, CEC (and several of CEC member organizations, including Galveston Bay Foundation, HARC, Air Alliance Houston, Bayou Preservation Association, Buffalo Bayou Partnership, Environmental Defense Fund, Katy Prairie Conservancy, The Nature Conservancy in Texas, Texas Sierra Club, SPARK School Park Program, and Texas Campaign for the Environment) will definitely benefit from these funds!
Earth Day Houston 2017
Dozens of Earth Day festivals will be held throughout the Houston area in 2017. We have begun compiling a list of Earth Month events on our calendar.
If you are hosting an Earth Month event (or any environment-related event), please be sure to let us know so we can share it! Information can be sent to email@example.com.
Earth Day Houston 2018
The CEC is gearing up for the Earth Day Houston 2018, and is recruiting members for our planning committee. Join us at a planning meeting on May 11, 2017. To become a part of this exciting event, contact Marina Rossow, Program Manager, at 713-524-4232 or firstname.lastname@example.org.